LA Laker Kobe Bryant is forming the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Foundation (KVBF) to help end homelessness in the Los Angeles area.
The foundation will work with other location organizations to promote awareness of homlessness. They aim to raise funds for housing and other necessary resources (such as school supplies, food, clothing, etc).
KVBF is created for homeless youth and their families and is also created to teach understanding and tolerance of the homeless population.
Here are some statistics from the Invisible Youth Network:
- 1 in 7 youth will run away by the time they're 18
- 45% of youth that age out of the foster system end up living on the streets
- Some risks of homlessness youth include: thoughts of suicide, increase in mental health problems, and drug addiction
- 1.5 million homeless teens and runaways live on the streets
- One youth that drops out of high school for a life of crime and drug abuse costs the American public between $1.7-$2.3 Million over a lifetime. Dang!
Good for Kobe! We're glad he's giving back to the community that has been so supportive of his career. Definitely a good look.